Adobe InDesign CS3 | 1200 and counting…
We all need an easy-to-read, organized, searchable reference to InDesign CS3′s keyboard shortcuts, functional area by functional area. In addition to creating a customized keyboard shortcut file, an interactive, layered PDF file is provided. Colour commentary is included to rationalize various additions, changes and amendments to the InDesign’s default set.
the reason i decided to make this…
It was always disconcerting when trying to track down a specific command. Some are not well advertised and there are indeed some great ones tucked in there! Your options are limited as the “show set” button within the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog presents a raw text listing of all the commands. You could also use InDesign’s well laid out help system. By the way, that’s over 1200 commands, and no, I did not count them manually.
I’ve been using InDesign since version 1.0 and over the years I added my own custom shortcuts. I’ve reworked, reorganized and laid out the complete list of commands that can be assigned keyboard shortcuts. In CS3, they’ve added new panels as well as included previously bundled items, i.e. scripts, InCopy plug-ins. You can quickly search for the command you’re curious about.
indesign cs3 document…
- Myriad Pro, Minion Pro, Lucida which you’ll have
- multiple layers
- factory default shortcuts
- custom shortcuts – make your own changes
- toc, tips, common elements
- rationale – reasoning for changing or adding shortcuts
- CS3 – new and improved commands
- some tips that might prove helpful
- decent use of staple InDesign features
- object styles
- anchored objects
- bookmarks and hyperlinks – when exported to PDF
- nested styles – saving TONS of manual formatting
- paragraph rules – alternating rows effect
- master pages
- corner options, if you can spot it
- CS3 – text variables, well one
- CS3 – incorporated style groups
- CS3 – updated colour schemes, toned down
- CS3 – renamed layers, swatches, styles
- layered to toggle what you want to view
- default (enabled on Win version)
- custom (enabled on Mac version)
- new and improved
- bookmarks navigation panel and hyperlinks
Each zipped file contains the editable 14-page InDesign document and the interactive PDF. The Mac version also includes the shortcut file (use the instructions at the bottom of this page to install). You can also download the 7-page compact version containing only the InDesign commands that, by default, have shortcuts assigned to them. It also includes the corresponding PDF.